Lentil Pie with Creamy Sweet Potato Top
Oh my days. All I can say that the marriage between baked sour cream with sweet sweet SWEEET roasted sweet potato and tahini is really orgasmic! You really gotta try this!
Disclaimer: I am not a chef. Just a humble home cook. This recipe has not been tested to be foolproof. As a home cook, it is normal to only use a recipe as a guideline. Cook with your gut and change it up to what you have, want and need. Taste test at each stage and always adjust the seasoning & spices to your taste
What you need
This serves about 4-5 people I think!
- Sweet potato x about 1/5-2kg
- Garlic x 6 cloves - minced
- Chillies Birdseye x 2 - minced
- Onion x 2 - diced
- Carrots x 5 - diced
- Celery sticks x 4 - diced
- Ground Cardamom x 1/2 tsp
- Dried rosemary x 2 tsp
- Dried Thyme x 3 tsp
- White pepper x 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Small vine tomatoes x 350g - diced
- Sun dried tomatoes paste x 30g (1 large tbsp) (can sub for tomato puree)
- Soy sauce x 3 tbps
- Balsamic vinegar x 1 tbsp
- Dried Green lentils x 250g
- Stock cube x 1 with 500ml of boiling water
- Tahini x 60g
- Fresh spinach x 180g
- Brown sugar x 2 tsp
- Food by Sumear Soured Cream
- Food by Sumear Crèmou
- Food by Sumear Trímma Cheese
What to do
- Cook your sweet potato. You can boil them but I prefer to roast them. This does take longer but roasted sweet potato is nom. In a 180ºc preheat oven, cook whole potato for 45-60mins till tender and cooked throughout (too me 60 mins for my medium size ones). Let rest to cool down before removing the skin and setting to the side.
- While your potatoes are roasted; in a large pan on medium/high, sauté the onions, carrots and celery till softened onions are translucent. Add the garlic and chilli and sauté further.
- Add all the spices and dried herb and cook for a few minutes till cooked and fragrant. Add salt to taste. Add a tiny splash of water if needed to deglaze.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, tahini and balsamic vinegar and cook gently until till the tomotoes have broken down and well incorporated. It is good to check the seasoning here and adjust if needed.
- Add the dried lentils, and the stock cube with water to the pot. Mix well and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook till the lentils are cooked. You may need to add more water if needed. Enough is needed so the lentils can absorb it and not remain tough. For me this took roughly 25 mins to cook the lentils and retain an element of a bite. Note - add more water beforehand if you wish your pie to be extremely saucy. I didn't.
- Add in the spinach and gently mix throughout. Cook till the spinach has wilted and softened. This will take a few minutes.
- Check seasoning and adjust. Add the sugar, mix and simmer for a few mins. Taste to make sure you are happy! Add the contents of the pot to a suitable oven dish and spread out evenly.
- By this time, the sweet potatoes should be done. When cooled, remove the skins and place the potato into a bowl. Add some Crèmou and salt (amounts on both is up to you. I only added a tsp or 2 of the Crèmou) and mix well with the potatoes. Add any other seasons you wish and mix.
- Back to the pie dish; Add dollops of the Soured Cream on top of the pie filling. Don't mix! We want the layer of cream on top ;) FYI - i used an entire jar.
- Crumble Trímma cheese over the top of the soured cream (amount is up to you).
- Gently add the mash sweet potato on top and spread evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºc till the top is nicely golden/roasted on top. Approx 25-35 mins pending on the size of your dish
- Add fresh black pepper on top if you want. Grate some cheese on top too if you like. Enjoy!