Lentil & Tofu Taco "Meat" Filling
Taco taco man. I want to be, a taco man!
Taco's always need cheese. And Soured Cream. It's true!
Disclaimer: I am not a chef. Just a humble home cook. This recipe has not been tested to be foolproof. As a home cook, it is normal to only use a recipe as a guideline. Cook with your gut and change it up to what you have, want and need. Taste test at each stage and always adjust the seasoning & spices to your taste.
What you need
- Dried green lentils 150g
- Extra Firm Tofu 450g
- Large Onion x 1 | Diced
- Red Onion x 1 | Sliced
- Red Bell Pepper x 3 | Diced
- Garlic Cloves x 4 | Minced
- Green Chilli x 4 | diced
- Onion Powder x 3 tsp
- Cumin x 4 tsp
- Smokey Paprika x 3 tsp
- Ground Cayenne x 1 tsp
- White Pepper x 2 tsp
- Soy Sauce x 1 tbsp
- Sun dried tomato paste x 2 tbsp
- Tomato paste x 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice x 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar x 1 tbsp
- Tahini x 50g
- Walnuts | finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander | chopped
What to do
- Heat a large pot on med/high heat. Once heated, add about 2 tbsp oil. When that is heated, salute the garlic and chillis for a short while.
- Add onions and fry until translucent and slightly browned.
- Saute onion powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, white pepper. Add some salt too. I deglazed the pan a bit with a small splash of soy sauce
- Add the bell pepper and cook. Stir frequently to ensure nothing burns. Add a small splash of water if needed.
- Into the pot, crumble in between your fingers the block of tofu. Mix well and cook for a small bit.
- Add in the sun dried tomato paste, tomato paste, soy sauce and tahini. Check seasoning/salt levels and adjust
- Add lentils and some water. Don't add too much water though. The lentils need to absorb some of the liquid that is already in the pot but to ensure nothing burns on the bottom of the pan and lentils cook through, more water is needed. Too much water and a watery sauce would be created. This is still nice to have but not ideal to have a soggy taco
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 mins. Stir occasionally and add more water if the it is drying up too much. The lentils need to retain a "bite" so don't overcook. Add more water if needed.
- Adjust seasoning and add the walnuts and sugar.
- Before serving, add the fresh coriander.
Note: I cooked this and left the pot with little liquid remaining. I packed it up to use the next day where I pan-fried the taco filling with a splash of oil and Tahini. A bit of water was added too. Use your judgment on the sauciness of the dish as this isn't a tried and tested recipe and I am no chef :P
How to Serve
With taco things of course! We had hard taco shells balanced out with romaine lettuce leaves as wraps. Fillings included mashed avocado, roasted veg, grated whisky oakwood cheese, Soured Cream dips and more.