Recipe: Elotes Bruschetta by Julian from @Pizzaislovely
The first recipe on foodbysumear.co.uk! Gorgeous Elotes Bruschetta by the guy behind the Bristol-based Pizza is Lovely, Julian.
Julian gifted this recipe to me that uses the Trímma vegan cheese so all you beautiful people can try it out.
Yes, this is a summertime recipe. Yes, Julian gave this to me over 6-months ago. Shush! It is hard work being a cheesemaker! Be quiet, make this, and let the pizza guy know how much you love it ;)
What you need
- Cornbread or nice crusty Sourdough
- One sweetcorn on the cob
- Two medium onions peeled and sliced finely
- Vegan mayonnaise
- One lime
- Rapeseed oil
- Fresh coriander
- Chipotle chilli powder or smoked paprika
- One pack of Trímma cheese
- Warm 3 level tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a large pan on a low heat and add the sliced onions. Stir to coat them in the oil and break the segments up.
- Place a lid on the pan and let the onions cook slowly for 20 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 mins until they turn a golden colour. Drain and put to one side.
- Boil some lightly salted water and cook the sweetcorn whole until tender. Remove from the pan and leave to cool until it is warm but safe to handle.
- With a large sharp knife, place the cob upright on a chopping board and hold the top firmly with one hand. Run the knife down the cob as close to the core as you can to shave off large clusters of sweetcorn.
- Toast (or if you’re feeling fancy use a griddle pan) your bread until warm and crispy. One slice per person for a starter or two for a light main course.
- Place the toasted bread on your serving plates and add the sweet onions, sweetcorn, a drizzle of mayo and finely crumbled Trímma.
- Finish the dish with a few pinches of Chipotle Chili powder, a squeeze of lime juice and coriander leaves
Julian also says, "This also makes an amazing vegan pizza. Simply top the pizza base with the cooked onions and when cooked assemble as above."